Is your UX career still in the design stage?
Maybe you’ve always loved user experience design. Or maybe you’ve only come to it recently after a career in design, marketing, or another related field.
Either way, you’re sure you want to “do” UX.
But interviewers (when they contact you) tell you that you don’t have what they need. Recruiters or businesses say, “Thanks, but we’ve gone with someone more experienced.”
How can you convince them to give you a chance?
Level up with a proven UX mentor
I’m Mary Shaw. I’ve spent over two decades working with Fortune 500 companies, mid-sized businesses and startups—both as an employee and as a UX consultant. I’ve taught courses, mentored students, written guest posts and appeared on podcasts.
- If you’re tired of striking out in interviews or losing bids to other freelancers…
- If you’re fed up with settling for less than you’re worth…
- And yes, if your career is still stuck in the design stage—but you don’t know how to move it into “production”…
Then my UX mentor program might be right for you.
Advice you can take to the bank
I’ve helped students get their first UX jobs, career-changers transition with ease, and freelance UXers land bigger and better contracts.
Here’s where some of them are working right now:
Here’s what just a few of my now-happily-working clients have to say:
“Mary is a truly gifted career coach! I reached out for guidance after feeling stuck in my job search in a highly competitive market for new UX graduates. I’d spent months after graduation continuously working very hard, but felt like I was just spinning my wheels. She quickly helped me get moving in the right direction, and I’m happy to say I was recently offered an Interaction Designer role! I look forward to continuing to work together in the future!”
– Ellen Lazaretti, Austin UXPA board member
“I was fortunate to have Mary as my Mentor while I explored opportunities to join the UX field. She generously shared her insight from her many years of experience in UX during our discussions. Her open-mindedness was very encouraging and she always found time to help me out when I got stuck. I would highly recommend Mary for any mentoring role because of the positive impact she has had on my career and personal life.”
– Luis G. Valencia
“Mary was an amazing mentor and guide for me. She was detail oriented and gave very good explanations on my work. Without her help and guidance, I wouldn’t have completed my career change from sales to UX designer, and I really appreciate all the wisdom I’ve gained from her.”
– Dhiren Patel
Here’s how you can benefit from my UX mentor program:
- Review your career goals and objectives, with “straight talk” on whether your plans are achievable or unrealistic—and what you can do to tilt the balance in your favor
- Have an “in-the-trenches” UX expert examine your portfolio the way a client would, looking for areas where you can better demonstrate your strengths
- Review and discuss interview strategies that could make the difference between you getting the gig and you going home
- Help you find companies or clients to target—and give you the tools you need to go after “the big ones”
- Create a customized “go-forward” plan to help you stand out in the marketplace—and experience success instead of disappointment when it’s “you and the other guys”
Is UX mentoring right for you?
Schedule a free 15-minute consultation to learn more about my services as a UX mentor—and find out today whether my mentoring services could help you in the future.