Script It Out
Below is a handy script of 10 questions you can use and edit to help get inside your customers’ heads. While you could create this as an online survey, it’s more effective to schedule a live conference call since direct contact will give you an opportunity to build the relationship further.
Make sure you first ask your customers’ permission and schedule a convenient time for the call. You’ll need less than an hour unless you get lucky and your interviewee provides lots of detailed information. Schedule an hour up front and ask if you can book a follow up call if the session goes overtime. If you’ve never done this before, you’ll be amazed at what you find out.
1. Tell me about ABC product. Why do you use it?
2. What made you choose ABC over Competitor A or Competitor B? (specifically name the competition)
3. What pain does ABC product solve that the other products don’t?
4. Can you please describe a specific use of ABC product that made a difference for you?
5. What do you like best about using ABC product?
6. What, if anything, would you change about ABC product?
7. How often do you purchase ABC product?
8. Is there anything you would change about the purchasing process?
9. Would you buy from ABC again? Why or why not?
10. Who else might benefit from using ABC product?